Monday, August 8, 2011

The Little White Boy that Could

Taking the overnight bus from Hangzhou to Beijing was nothing less than an extraordinary choice. The bus did not have reclining seats like the one I took from Shenzhen to Xiamen. Oh no, this bus had 3 rows of narrow bunk beds, which I found abnormally comfortable. Between being in a horizontal position and the movement of the bus, I slept like a baby for almost the entire 15-hour trip, shocking the Chinese people around me. To them, I was the little white boy who could sleep through anything and, when awake, converse in halfway decent Mandarin.

I have now arrived in Beijing and am in the process of eating lunch in the midst of Beijing’s hyper-artsy 798 district. My lunch is nothing of much excitement since I chose the location due to its internet and décor rather than it’s extensive menu of delicious dishes. It’s almost sacrilegious, but I’m eating pizza and drinking coffee in Beijing….. I assure you it’s only because the menu lacked Chinese food and I desperately needed a place use the internet and to charge up my electronics (first world problems, I know). More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment