Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Turkish Keyboards or Ahh the joys of typing

Turkish keyboards are weird - enough said. Just to give you a taste of what I am dealing with, I will retype everything here using the keystrokes I would use on an English keyboard.

Tukrısh keyboards are weırd - enough saıdç Just to gıve you a taste of what I am dealıng wıthö I wıll retype everythıng here usıng the keystrokes I would use on an Englısh keyboardç

See what I mean? ö is where my comma should be, and the actual comma is hanging way out in never never land. I have a Ş where my semicolon should be, and capital I is in the same place. However, that if I use it for lowercase i, then I get ı (sans the necessary dot), the lowercase i is chilling next to my crazy Ş thing. What is cool is that when I capitalize it, it becomes an İ. It is surprising how easy it is to overlook the little dot over the i. Oh, and to make matters even stranger, my period has taken up residence one spot to the left of where it should be. In its correct place, the wonderful turkish keyboard has saved me the nessecity of usıng Ctrl+C to make a ç. What blışş.

2 comments:

  1. In no time you have mastered the Turkish keyboard. Well, how was your night in the hostel?We look forward to seeing photos of your apartment. In relationship to where you will be working, how will you travel between the two locations? Enjoy the new experiences
    and keep the blog updated with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Turkish alphabet has two "i"s. The first "i" has no dot on either the upper or lowercase, while the second "i" has a dot on both. The first indicates the ĭ/short i sound while the other indicates the ē/long e sound.

    ReplyDelete