Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Life in Lists

As I have less than a week left in Turkey (only 4 days in fact), I have begun compiling lists galore to remind myself of various tasks and experiences I need to take care of before heading onwards to China. And of course, I have my running list of things I must eat as soon as I arrive there. Thus, I’m going to share with you my life in lists.

Top 5 things I haven’t done yet in Turkey and must do:
1. Turkish Bath
2. Basilica Cistern
3. Eat the street chestnuts
4. Spice Bazaar
5. Eat fresh figs

Top 10 things I’ve done in Turkey and have to do again before leaving:
1. Tombik
2. Turkish delight
3. The Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and surrounding area at night
4. Künefe (a Turkish desert that is like a sweet, cheesy, frosted mini-wheat)
5. Spend hours shopping at Mephisto (my favorite Book Store/DVD emporium/CD vendor/café)
6. Watch the sunset from the bridge
7. haggle in a bazaar and use the phrase “I can get it cheaper in China” to force the price lower
8. Turkish cake (aka “pasta”)
9. Recreate the accent of the Dolmabahçe Palace guide (“Dear guests, all togethers we will go see the pyalace of the sultan midget and the second biggest carpet in the Turkey……”)
10. Either regain my American accent or embrace my newly adopted Canadianisms , eh

Top 10 musts in China:
1. Get my hair washed
2. Get a discount for speaking decent Chinese
3. Street food – all of it
4. At least one completely massive, disgustingly indulgent meal that costs less than 10 USD
5. Understand a Beijing cab driver (I’m convinced they only speak Troll, not Mandarin)
6. Buy a tailored suit
7. Tree Bar (peach beer – enough said)
8. 798 (the insanely quirky, avant-garde art district of Beijing that I’ve never visited but was told to spend quality time in by my honors thesis advisor)
9. Watch 80 year old Chinese people get up at the crack of dawn to do tai chi in public parks
10. Victoria Peak (Hong Kong’s skyline, need I say more?)

No comments:

Post a Comment