Wednesday, July 13, 2011

“What do you mean he don’t eat no meat?!?”

My Big Fat Greek Wedding had it right when they say “Greek meat… very nice…. Very nice Greek meat” or when they look upon vegetarianism with shock and disbelief with the exclamation of “What do you mean he don’t eat no meat!?!” Anyone limiting their diet in Greece is limiting themselves to far more than I would have imagined before this past weekend.

In my attempt to catch up on my highly awaited, much needed blogging about my weekend trip to Greece, I’m going to start with my favorite of all topics: The food.

Simply put, it was glorious. I think I might have almost wept tears of joy from how good this stuff was. Meal number one was a Greek salad, complete with giant slab of fresh feta. In the US, much of the feta is not very flavorful, but still a quite nice salad-additive. If history had only been slightly different, I’m sure Greece could have easily started its own religion followed worldwide based on its feta alone. This tuff was delicious, and totally made my salad. The meal would not have been complete without the personal sized bottle of white wine, which was, amusingly, the second cheapest drink on the menu and only fractions of a Euro more than bottled water. Needless to say, I had to have a quick sample of the local vintage. I was impressed. As I’ve said before, and I will surely say again – I could go on for hours about food, but why yap incessantly when a picture is worth a thousand words (or in this case, some stomach growls of fond memory and a few thousand words, most of which are just grunts of enjoyments something along the lines of ommmmmmmg).


I also had a pita of wonder. Much like a Turkish döner, it was a pita with meat and some other vegetables inside; however, Greece, being on top of all things food, decided to add one more thing. That thing was the sauce. I have no idea what this stuff was. It was not tzatziki sauce. It was some other glorious Greek concoction that I only hope I can eventually figure out how to make. I would have eaten by the bucket load with vigor that is usually reserved for depressed pregnant women eating Ben & Jerry’s .


The final food tidbit I will leave you with is my final meal in Greece. It was a pasta with chicken, bacon, mushrooms, and a white cream sauce – need I say more? Of course it doesn’t end there – its Greece. I had to have the Cappuccino Freddo, basically like a iced cappuccino, but creamier and far more delicious.


Lonely Planet’s article on the top 10 countries in the world for food outlines some pretty incredible eating experiences, and I must say that my weekend fully validated Greece’s presence on that list along side some pretty heavy hitters like Indonesia, China, France, and India. Spain’s presence on the list, however, still boggles me. Did I just simply eat the wrong things there? I thought it was good, but not top 10…. Maybe Lonely Planet just forgot about phở and gave Spain Vietnam’s place by accident.

2 comments: