Friday, June 3, 2011

Food

Let's talk about food. I've mentioned it a bit before, but I haven't gone into nearly as much depth as I feel is necessary. Yesterday proved an interesting bundle of experiences with the Americans who should be shipped off to rural Serra Leone for some intense character building and a fresh dash of perspective. Regardless, Today is a new day, and I know that I have carelessly skipped over some of the most exciting highlights of the past few days - namely, what I've been eating.

Actually, let's start with what I've been drinking. As I have already mentioned, I have tried Turkish coffee, and I must say that I’m a fan. It’s bold, delicious, and best when sipped gingerly while editing photos to upload and share with all of you wonderful readers. A slightly less potently caffeinated beverage is the ever-popular çay (pronounced chai) which is basically a hot black tea (not like spiced masala chai from India). It’s really nothing strange or different from drinking tea in most places, although I’ve never seen it served with milk. The think that is interesting about this çay is hardly the drink itself, but the container in which it is served. The glass, like a mini-vase holds a few ounces of the hot liquid, and I will most definitely be picking up a few of them to carry back home.




I’m also a big fan of the juices here. I believe I’ve already mentioned Cherry juice (vişne suyu – yes, I’ve learned the Turkish for it), and it is excellent. Also, peach juice is readily available; however, its deliciousness is not quite on par with its cherry counterpart. There is one drink I have tried here that I did not care for. It's called Ayran, and it's a yogurty drink think. As I cannot handle the tanginess of yogurt normally, drinking it is not exactly my think. It's kind of like one of those gogurt things back in the US, only it tastes fresher and I'm sure it has far fewer preservatives and additive.

Not surprisingly, American fast food chains are readily available. On this topic, I do have a bit to say. Going abroad, you pretty much expect your McDonald’s or Burger King; however, yesterday, I saw one that truly threw me for a loop. I saw a Little Caesar’s. I didn’t even know they were still in existence, much less international, but I saw one yesterday only a few blocks away from where I’m staying. Speaking of pizza, I am sorry to report (for those of you who have been to China) that Pizza Hut here is like it is in the US, and not the glamorous ordeal it is in China with linen napkins and waiters in black-tie (I poked my head inside just to check).


I know I've mentioned it several times before, but the street food is what I really live for. There is a place near where I'm staying that has döner for 1 lira. Döner is like a sandwich of the meet roasted on a spit and lettuce, tomato, and other deliciousness inside. I'm a big fan of getting them for less than 1 USD as well. There are also street stall selling mussels and chestnuts, neither of which I have tried yet; however, I promise to let you know as soon as I do. I have been a bit sketched out by the thought of eating shellfish on a street corner, but they look really good. I think I'm going to wait until I see several people buying from a vendor before I choose to partake. Anyway, I think I'm going to leave my food ranting there and share with you a few pictures I've taken while out and about. If anything exciting happens, I'll keep you updated.


2 comments:

  1. You're starting to sound less like a 21 year old college student and more like Anthony Bourdain of the Travel Channel. Every sounds good, except for that yogurty drink...yuck. Your pictures have been great as well. Good to see you can get Little Ceasar's Pizza Pizza in Turkey. I'm sure the Roman Empire never envisioned Ceasar's continued presence throughout the world. Anyway, keep having fun and blogging, it's been great.

    fyi - just saw a story about a deadly e. coli outbreak in Europe. I think it had to do with cucumbers and lettuce. Yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayran tasted like yogurt drenched in salt water. I didn't like it either. And in Istanbul there is a Schlotzky's deli. No kidding. It was so random. Also, try the elma cay and simit (sesame bagel thingies they sell on the street). They're yummy and only cost like 1 lira each. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete