Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Work - Day 2

Work day number 2 went well. I think I have an idea of what kinds of projects I’m going to be working on for the summer, but I will not be certain until my intro meeting on Thursday – things are running a bit behind due to my department getting struck by a bought of marriage and pregnancy and off time etc. As it looks right now, I’m going to get to recycle a good bit of research I did while in Singapore and for BUSI 554 last semester for some projects – hopefully I’ll be able to prove my worth despite my inabilities to communicate in Turkish.

Speaking of communicating in Turkish, I think I may have made a new friend – or at least a new fan, and by that, I mean the guy who sells the delicious Tombik down the road. I know just enough Turkish to get a Tombik and a tea, and to explain to him that I’m from America and here for an internship with Mercedes – or at least those were the answers to the questions I think he was asking me. He seemed pretty amused, and I was blissful because my mouth was full of spicy street food. After dinner, I hit the grocery stores to stock up on some drinks. About to check out in one, I thought to myself and decided that I should use some of my free time to enjoy myself grocery shopping and hop around and price compare. Little did I know where that was going to lead me.



On my way to grocery store number 4, I looked to my left and stopped dead in my tracks. It was a delightfully grungy night market – I’m talking about some wooden spoons on a blanket on the street kind of night market. Do I even need to tell you that I took that detour? It was glorious. I left with a kilo of apricots and a kilo of cherries (roughly 4 or 5 pounds of fruit) all for around 4 or 5 USD. I then proceeded to the grocery store and grabbed a cheap carton of cherry juice, and triumphantly made my way back home. I’m probably going to snack on some of my fruit tonight before bed, which will be soon since tomorrow is another wonderful morning of getting up at 5:30 am.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gooooddd wish I was there with you. Seriously, I might have to say you are the coolest person to travel with/be in a foreign environment with (.. as long as it's not the jungle.. then I might have to opt for someone who is down to fight lions).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I'm totally down from some lion fighting as long as you're there to back me up. You and Re-Re should totally hit up Istanbul while you're in Europe and come visit me!!

    ReplyDelete