Monday, June 6, 2011

Work - Day One

Day one of work was an experience. I had to get up at 5:30am to get my shuttle to the immaculately designed compound that houses a host of Daimler entities pretty far west of the City. Arriving at 7:30am, I met my fellow marketing intern, a Turk named Ufuk. We chatted until work actually started at 9:00am (or at least that’s when my department tends to show up) – yes friends, that’s right, I get the joyous pleasure of arriving at work an hour and half early every day due to the transit situation. Leaving work at 5:30pm, my brain was dead, and I was thoroughly exhausted. I got back to my apartment, put on some jeans, and then life started. More accurately, life started at 8:00pm when I ventured out for some food (I know, I know, another food post- I just can’t help myself…. It was SOOOO good).

The Turkish word of the day is “Tombik.” Say it with me now… “Tombik.” Good. That word is my new best friend. It’s difficult to describe, but think shavings of meat from a spit, pickles, spices, peppers, and other goodness stuffed into something along the lines of a sourdough hamburger bun – exquisite. After a 3 lira dinner consisting of a tombik and çay from what may have become my new favorite local venue, I decided to treat myself for my thriftiness and grab a post-dinner treat in the form of a pastry and a cappuccino.

Weird pastry that I will probably not order again: 1.5 lira
Cappuccino: 4 lira
Turkish waitress 10 minutes later explaining that there was no more cappuccino: -4 lira
Subsequent free çay: 0 lira
Getting money back: priceless
Thank you tip: 1 lira

Tonight turned out quite well. I’m not going to discuss work for a few days so that I can properly process my opinions, thoughts, and experiences once I have a better feel for what kind of tasks I’ll be doing – right now it looks like I’m going to be doing a lot of editing and supporting web 2.0 applications like search engine optimization. I bid you all a goodnight, and I’ll update you soon – probably next time I get a tombik. (I linked a picture of a Tombik so that you can see what it looks like - I failed to bring my camera out to dinner tonight. Alas, I do not have a photo of my new beloved)

No comments:

Post a Comment